I Love Fabric!

It’s been a hard couple of weeks. Adjusting to life in a new country is definitely tougher than I expected when I moved here. Now that I’m almost a year on from the move, I was anticipating feeling a lot more at home than I do. But starting your life over again is no joke and trying to build one for myself is taking its toll. Fortunately, I have an amazing husband who knows exactly the right way to cheer me up – by taking me fabric shopping! So with a couple of new projects in mind, we headed over to Joann’s so that I could pick myself up with some fabric devotion. As always, I was in heaven.

20180412_163411

SO much fabric joy! Am I the only one who pretty much always fabric shops in person? I mean, I order the odd thing online – but mostly just fabrics with really cute patterns that I can’t resist. Otherwise, I much prefer a trip to the fabric shop. I guess I’m always worried that what I order online won’t turn out to be as good in person. Although I know you can order swatches, I’m also incredibly impatient when it comes to waiting for fabrics to be delivered. Also, when I’m feeling not so at home here, hunting out new fabric shops or returning to favourites is a sure way to make me feel more comfortable. It’s exactly the same feeling of ‘at home’ that I get whenever I go into a bookshop. I know, I’m super cool!

We ended up spending a long time searching through the various fabrics at Joann’s. I had a couple of projects in mind and was hoping to find some fabrics that would work. The first project is a new version of the Decades of Style Belle Curve dress. This was one of my first makes (ambitious, I know!) and remains one of my favourite me-made garments. However, in my eternal Laura wisdom, I decided a couple of weeks ago that I should try to tidy up my original version. Since I was super new to sewing when I made it, there were quite a few problems with the construction. None of the issues were a particularly big deal, but mostly I was getting annoyed with the wide, unfinished seams and a lot of subsequent fraying. Since everything was already constructed, I didn’t want to risk serging. So I decided to take my pinking shears to the seams and have a go at both trimming them down and stopping the fraying. As careful as I thought I was being, I ended up snipping through the body of the side of the dress – right by the amazing sunburst darts – and leaving a hole big enough that there’s no fixing it (flashbacks to my wedding dress muslin, anyone?!). Needless to say, I was pretty distraught. However, the dress was definitely in need of many alterations. I’ve lost a lot of weight since I originally made it and, with the way the dress is constructed, it would’ve been impossible to alter. So I guess my accident was actually providing an opportunity for me to revisit and remake one of favourite patterns!

I knew that I wanted to stay super plain with the fabric. The best part of the Belle Curve dress is undoubtedly the darts and using a patterned fabric would only make this detail much harder to see. So I decided to get a couple of drapey fabrics in bold colours that would work super well and show of the unique details of the dress pattern.

IMG_6316

Green is probably my favourite colour and I couldn’t resist this gorgeous bottle green. My original version of the Belle Curve dress was in green and it looked stunning. I’m not sure if I’ll use this fabric for my next version since I want to try something different but, either way, it’ll certainly be put to good use!

IMG_6319

Purple! I don’t think I’ve made any purple clothes so far, which is strange because I absolutely adore purple. This is definitely a super bold purple but I think it will work incredibly well with the pattern. I can’t actually remember what sorts of fabrics these are – I think they’re poly blends. But they are perfectly drapey with a silky underside, which will work very well against the skin. I can’t wait to get started!

I’ve also been putting together plans to make some shorts. Summer in Missouri is pretty crazy and temperatures can get up to 110F (I think that’s over 40C). Since I’m came over from England, clearly my wardrobe was very underprepared for such temperatures. I’m determined that this summer will be much more comfortable than the last, so I’m putting my sewing machine to work for the cause. Fortunately, one of the lovelies that I follow on Instagram (Erin from My Poetic Memory) posted a photo of some shorts she’s whipped up recently. All of the pairs looked gorgeous but she had a version of the Chataigne shorts from Deer&Doe that left me particularly in love (I was the personification of the heart eyes emoji, for sure). After searching out the pattern for myself, I knew that I needed to put this on my project list! Since I was especially in love with the styling of one of the models for the pattern, I decided to try and replicate the look by finding some faux suede to create some beautiful shorts:

IMG_6315

I’ve never sewn with faux suede before, so I’m excited to give it a go! I think these shorts will be amazing – although perhaps not made with the most cooling of materials. Just an excuse to buy even more fabric to make new versions!

So that’s a summary of my recent adventures into the world of fabric. I’m so excited to get started on some new projects (especially because Me Made May is coming and I need to get some more stuff together!). Fortunately, my Ginger Jeans are almost finished – just the jeans button, rivets, and hemming to go! So I’ll have those to show you soon.

For now though, I’m wishing you a wonderful weekend full of sewing and happiness!

10 thoughts on “I Love Fabric!

1. Emily Kitsch says:

Oooh! Lots of lovely fabric and awesome projects planned! Yay!
    I prefer shopping for fabric in person, too, I’ve only bought fabric online twice, both times because I was in love with the prints and couldn’t find them in the shops. I love being able to feel the fabric and make sure I actually like it and fabric shops are just lovely places to be! 🙂 Also – fellow bookworm here who feels at home in book stores, you’re not alone! 😀

I can’t imagine how difficult it would be adjusting to living in a completely different country – I’ve lived in the same city my entire life and have been resistant to even moving to another city in the same province because I’m so fearful of big changes. I think you’re incredibly brave and strong to have left your life behind and to be starting a new one. Your husband is a lucky guy!

• sewforvictory says:

Fabric shopping in person is the best! I’m a super tactile person so being able to feel the fabrics is super important to me. It’s weirdly the same with books – I love the feel and smell of them (which is why my Kindle gets used so rarely!). I’m so glad that I’m not alone on all this! 🙂

I so appreciate your comment. The transition has definitely been much harder than I anticipated and I think people underestimate the culture shock because there’s no language barrier. But it’s incredibly different from England. Not to say I’m not so happy to be with my husband – moving for him was totally worth it! But I have quite an aversion to change, just like you, and I definitely wouldn’t have moved for anything less. All this said, comments like yours make me feel SO much better. I’m so happy to have met you through the blog. It’s weird to have never met someone but feel like you have a friend! Thank you so much for commenting, cheering me up, and always being so incredibly positive and kind. ❤

Liked by 1 person

• Emily Kitsch says:

I’m the same way with books too! I read books on my computer, but I much prefer holding an actual physical book in my hands – there’s really nothing like it and reading books on a screen just doesn’t compare and never will! And never feel weird for it – people like us help to keep books in print! I never want to see a day where printed books have been phased out and completely replaced by digital formats. If that day ever comes, I’ll cry.

I can’t even imagine how different the US must be to England, but the culture shock must still be really hard because they really are completely different countries. The huge change in time zones alone must be difficult. I have family in England so I know how huge the time difference is between say, Ontario and London, so I imagine it must be tricky even working within the time difference when you want to even just call up your family and friends back home for a chat – gosh, and the long distance charges, too! I know even for me, living “right next door” to the States, if I visited or moved there it would still be a culture shock. Our countries may have their similarities, but the US is a whole ‘nother beast altogether! The gun laws are so vastly different from both of our countries and the culture over there can really reflect that. The population is way bigger than my country so even that would be a shock. I could go on and on, but I know I don’t need to – you’re living it!

It was so amazing that you made such a huge change for your husband, it really shows a lot of love, dedication and commitment. *hug* I hope that soon you’re able to start feeling more at home, but it is sooo understandable that you’re still finding it tough and still get homesick. It’s only natural!

I’m so glad that my comment helped you feel better! And I know what you mean, even though we’ve never met, you definitely feel like a friend to me, too! 🙂 I’m here for you, gal, you got this! There will be really rough days, but you’re doing amazing – and remember, it’s okay to have hard days, just make sure to be kind to yourself when they come along. *hug*

2. designedbydanita says:

I love a trip to my local fabric shop on any day! I don’t have a Joann’s near me. It’s about an hour and a half away. But the shop in my town is just perfect for what I need for myself! My husband is also a sweet heart who understands my need to spend as much time and uhh…$$$ as is necessary! I do have a monthly budget, but if I go a little over, he is generous and will cover my expenses! 🙂 I love touching all the fabrics and seeing all the colors and really love it when a project comes together and I can do a “show and tell” with my friends who own and work at the shop! It’s a very rewarding part of my sewing experience. Your post reminded me of that! Thank you for all your candor and sweetness! ❤

• sewforvictory says:

I’m so happy that you have such an understanding husband! 🙂 It’s difficult to keep that budget in check when you’re sewing. Fabric is just too exciting!! I’m also very glad that I’ve found someone else who loves to fabric shop in person – it’s such an adventure of discovery (plus, I’m impatient so it means that I don’t have to wait for the mail!!). Thanks for all of your sweetness too! Your comments always make me smile and, on my down days, remind me why this blog is such an amazing thing. I’m so happy to have met you through it! ❤

3. nikkicharlene says:

I’m the same way, I LOVE fabric shopping in person! I can’t imagine having to only buy fabric online, and not getting to really feel and see it before purchasing. Joann’s is my go to more than anywhere else!

• sewforvictory says:

Me too! ❤ When I moved to the US, I was sort of against the idea of fabric shopping at Joann's. The thing I love most about sewing is making totally unique garments, and I figured Joann's fabric would be the equivalent of buying your clothes from a big high street store. But they have SO much choice! And their fabric is so reasonably priced compared to other places. I swear, I buy 80% of my fabric there now. I'm totally obsessed with making trips there and just trawling the aisles for an hour, touching every fabric. I have a very patient husband!

Liked by 1 person