Another Vintage Pattern Haul!

Happy mid-week, everyone! I’m back after a short break. Life got a bit chaotic last week so I decided to take some time off from the blog to get my schedule in order. Although there are definitely no prospects of things calming down any time soon (I’ve taken on new work commitments, plus I’m prepping for my Yoga Teacher Training course – yes, I got accepted!!!), I’m at least starting to work out where everything will fit. When I was studying for my PhD and working towards a career in academia, it never occurred to me that I might end up having a life made up of so many different components. But I’m in the fortunate position to be able to pursue most of my passions alongside one another! The challenge is in finding enough time to get everything done – something that I’m working on, whilst also bearing in mind the many lessons on self-care that I’ve picked up over the years. But any extra detail on this will be saved for another day and another post.

Today’s post is devoted to more vintage patterns! I’ve really been lucking out in regards to growing my vintage pattern collection. Fortunately, this time around I didn’t even have to visit any shops. My mum recently made a trip back to the UK (for those who don’t know, my parents are also British expats living in the US) to see family. And my aunt took the opportunity to pass on some vintage patterns to help boost my collection! Interestingly, these patterns lie a bit outside of my typical vintage ‘comfort zone’. I’m very much about the 1940s and 1950s, although I do enjoy the more ’50s-inspired silhouettes in 1960s patterns. However, looking at the patterns gifted to me by my aunt, I’m so encouraged to step away from my traditional makes. They’re such lovely patterns!

IMG_6926

I actually think that these patterns offer more ‘everyday’ looks than my typical vintage pattern finds. Since I’m working hard to expand my everyday wardrobe, I’m definitely seeing a lot of potential for new sewing projects!

IMG_6932

I do love a playsuit! In fact, one of my upcoming projects is the Sew Over It playsuit. But I really like the versions in this Vogue pattern. I’m particularly happy that V9464 offers multiple leg length variations – especially the knee length version. This seems to be a rarity in most modern playsuit patterns, which typically opt for long leg or short leg alternatives with nothing in between. Plus the waist tie is just so sweet!

IMG_6933

Simplicity 5471 is adorable! I’ve yet to make any halterneck dresses or tops, although I recently bought one of Simplicity’s reproduction vintage patterns that offers multiple halterneck tops. I think this is the perfect look for the summer – particularly with temperatures currently as high as they are in St. Louis. S5471 looks like a wonderful addition to any summer wardrobe. I’m thinking that this might be a great pattern to put on my short-term list of makes so that it can get some outings during the height of summer!

IMG_6934

If you’ve seen any of my previous vintage pattern hauls, you’ll know that I have a real love for patterns that feel slightly unconventional. My 1940s bathing suit pattern is probably one of my all-time favourites! So it’s unsurprising that I love V6644. When I first saw it, my immediate question was whether the shower cap is included in the pattern – imagine my joy to discover that it is! Adorable!

I genuinely am quite enamoured with the dressing gown on the left. I think it is so cute – especially the little bow ties on the front! Thinking ahead, I’m definitely in need of a dressing gown for the autumn. I’m one of those people that is obsessed with layers and just generally being covered up. Even at 35C outside, I’ll sit with the fan on so that I can justify having a blanket over me. I love thick socks, comfy pjs, and just generally being snug. As you can probably guess, summer isn’t a time of year that I inhabit with much success. But the nice thing with sewing is that I can plan ahead and feel autumnal in my makes. So perhaps indulging in a bit of dressing gown making will help me feel like October is already here!

IMG_6931

Saving the best for last! This pattern is actually super special because it’s the pattern that my aunt used to make her wedding dress – specifically version C. Isn’t it wonderful? I’ve been trying to find a photo of said dress but my laptop is being uncooperative. I’ll ask my aunt to send me a picture so that I can share in a future post. Although I’m not planning any future marriages (I’m sure my husband will be relieved), I’m so happy to have such an important pattern in my collection.

Although I have family members that have sewn or do sew, I didn’t grow up being exposed to these skills. I don’t remember ever seeing any family members sewing – but I always heard from my aunt how she used to sew her own clothes and had made her wedding dress. Having been traumatised by a sewing machine experience early in secondary school, these stories obviously failed to resonate with me. However, now that sewing is such a big part of my life, I think about this sewing legacy very often. The thing that I love most about sewing vintage and vintage-inspired patterns is the feeling of touching history. It’s not usually about actually wearing the garments I make – although obviously this is a bonus. Rather, I love the feeling of somehow connecting to the past through sewing such vivid examples of vintage patterns. Getting these patterns from my aunt gives me an especially strong sense of that connection!

So another vintage pattern haul done and dusted! I’m excited to try stepping out of my vintage niche with some patterns from other decades. Do you typically stick to a certain decade when you sew vintage? Or do you have no preference?

7 thoughts on “Another Vintage Pattern Haul!

1. Elena says:

These are some very pretty patterns, I can see the temptation! 🙂 With my own makes, I stick to 1940-1953, yes, quite so precisely because these dates demarcate a particular period in fashion, at least in Europe. These are the styles I feel comfortable in, and I don’t particularly see myself wearing ’60s or ’70s styles for example, no matter how pretty. As for later decades, I made those clothes back then, I don’t fancy making them again. 😉

• sewforvictory says:

That’s definitely very specific 🙂 – but I totally understand your reasoning! It truly is about what makes you feel most comfortable and confident. With vintage clothes, I also find it’s about what you feel most connected to. I think I sew 40s-50s clothes because, not only do I love the style, I’m also totally fascinated by that period of social history. I like the feeling of ‘touching’ that point in time through my sewing. Truly the best hobby for being able to explore history in a really tangible way! 🙂

• Elena says:

“Touching” through sewing – that’s a lovely thought! I too feel connected to that period, through my grandmothers: one was 15 when the war started, just finishing school, the other was nearly 30, married and with a small child. Both grandmas told me stories from that time – quite different, yet similar in so many ways. 1953 was the year when my older grandma bought a pair of brand new shoes – for the first time since before the Great Depression of early 1930s. Many families finally felt relief after a long hardship – and you see it in their fashion! Bigger and bolder skirts, more daring tops, unsensibly high heels, and a few years later – swing! But this is already somehow not me, 1953 marks the end of “my” era. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Emily Kitsch says:

What exciting news about the yoga training! And what lovely patterns, too! I love that Butterick 5284 was used to make your aunt’s wedding dress! What a special pattern to have been passed down. ❤ I hope she sends a photo! 🙂

Though there were women in my family who were also seamstresses, nothing was ever passed down or even really talked about much. I only just learned a few months ago that an aunt of mine used to sew vintage clothing herself – back in the 60's and 70's (she was sewing outfits from the 30's and 40's!!). Sadly she got rid of all of the clothes she made over the years, and the patterns, which is such a huge shame. Her mother (my grandmother) and all of the women in her family sewed as well, but most of those women are long gone now. I believe my mom's mother also sewed, and for awhile my mom worked in a clothing factory in Toronto, but they're both gone too, so I don't have any family stories on that side either. It does help to make me feel more connected to these women in my family when I sew though, and that is one of the things I love about it, feeling that connection and carrying on a family tradition. 🙂

I never really stick to a specific decade when I sew, I think for now I'm having way too much fun traveling through time with my sewing to stop on one decade for too long! Though I love the 1930's and want to sew more patterns from that era for sure, and I'd definitely love to experiment with more 60's and 70's styles, and the 20's and 40's too! I'd love to make some really gorgeous 1950's New Look dresses as well, but the two decades I'm the most intrigued with at the moment are definitely the 30's and 70's – I just need to find and get the right patterns and get to work! 😉

I loved this post, by the way. 🙂 ❤

• sewforvictory says:

It’s funny that you have similar experiences with sewing in your family! I think perhaps it’s because sewing was so routine until a couple of decades ago, and so many people would sew because it was the cheapest option. Today sewing is much more something to celebrate because it’s still relatively rare in younger generations. I guess a lot of people sewed because they had to but, when clothing became more easily and cheaply available, just stopped. At least it allows us to uncover all of the stories though! 🙂

I also really like your approach to sewing different decades. I find myself pretty glued to 40s/50s patterns but I really want to branch out. I’m also trying to sew through a backlog of plans for modern patterns. Really there’s just too much to sew and too little time!

I might be weird for saying this but I miss chatting with you! I’ve been so busy that the blog has been a bit inconsistent (although I’m getting back in the zone now!). But I think all the time ‘I miss chatting with Emily in the comments!’ So I hope you’re doing well and life is good! ❤

3. Laura’s Mum says:

Lovely post. I grew up watching your Grandma sew, and my best memories are of my homemade summer school uniforms, and a red dressing gown with ladybird buttons and a cord belt. The toweling bikini that she made was not as successful because they lost shape the moment water touched them. I must ask Mum if she made them from actual towels😁

I’d love be to be reminded of Auntie’s wedding photo because I was a bridesmaid.